What a SHOW!!
Yours truly is BACK (back, back, back again.....thank you Alyssa Edwards) with your favorite 'RuPaul's Drag Race' recap after missing last weeks premiere.
The top 9 (miss you Morgan) were given their 2nd challenge of the season, a lip sync extravaganza featuring today's biggest divas. They would be lip syncing to some of Ru's biggest hits, but in character.
In an homage to VH1's 'Divas Live', the remaining queens were given roles:
Milk - Celine Dion
Aja - Amy Winehouse
Kennedy Davenport - Janet Jackson
Thorgy Thor - Stevie Nicks
Trixie Mattel - Dolly Parton
Bebe Zahara Benet - Diana Ross
Chi Chi Devayne - Patti Labelle
Ben Delacreme - Julie Andrews
Shangela - Mariah Carey
Okay, so let's break this down shall we:
- Milk's Celine impression was flat. Also? The attitude even being safe afterwards was very off putting. Anyone else becoming really annoyed with Milk?
- Aja's Amy was fine. Nothing special. Nothing terrible.
- Trixie's Dolly was clever, and Trixie definitely played to her strengths.
- Thorgy as Stevie was not good. The look may have been half right, but there was no substance to the performance.
- Kennedy's Janet was a mess and a half. She didn't know the words, the dancing was just Kennedy, and there was no embodiment.
Now for the REALLY good:
- Chi Chi may have been bottom 3, but BITCH TURNED IT OUT as Patti. The movement was on point and she gave me all of the life I needed.
- Shangela as Mariah gave us the real humor we needed. Mocking Mariah's now infamous NYE performance was spot on, and our beloved Shangie delivered.
- Dela once again came to play the game. Her rap as Julie Andrews was hysterical, and that mic drop moment at the end had yours truly howling.
- Season 1 winner Bebe completely EMBODIED Miss Ross. The hair bouncing, the eyes, the movement. EVERYTHING JUST WORKED.
It was time for the critiques though, as the judges, including choreographer Todrick Hall and the legendary Vanessa Williams all chimed in. Going along with their redemption runway looks, Ru declared Bebe, Shangela and Dela as the top 3 all stars, with Thorgy, Kennedy and Chi Chi as the bottom 3 all stars.
More deciding later, Ru proclaimed Chi Chi and Bebe safe, with Thorgy/Kennedy in the bottom and Dela once again lip syncing along with Shangela.
Following another great lip sync, it was none other than Shangela named the winner, and she sent Thorgy home.
What did you guys think of the episode?
Some final thoughts:
1. Thorgy's attitude after her elimination was VERY off putting ("Gross.")
2. Dela is really playing this season. Her lip sync was once again hilarious, and I really thought she might take it again.
3. Milk's attitude afterwards (it bears repeating) was awful
4. Shangela and Kennedy TRULY DID THAT on the runway. Period.