Skip to main content

Billboard Releases Love Letters From The Stars To Their LGBTQ Fans For Gay Pride

Absolutely overwhelmed by all of this.

In honor of June being the month of Pride, Billboard put together a very special tribute to the LGBT community:

Love letters from stars to their LGBTQ fans.

From Britney Spears to RuPaul, from Christina Aguilera to Barbra Streisand....these are just a few of them. You can see all of them HERE.

And of course, MY QUEEN Britney writes a personal, handwritten letter:





Barbra Streisand





The first time I ever sang for a paying audience was at a gay club, The Lion, in Greenwich Village. I was 18 years old and had never been in a nightclub before. The gay community supported me from the start, and I will always be grateful.
Decades later, I remember sitting in a theater and watching Larry Kramer’s play, The Normal Heart, with tears running down my cheeks. It was 1985 and Ronald Reagan was president and it was heartbreaking to know people were dying while he refused to even say the word AIDS. I wanted more people to see this powerful story about everyone’s right to love, so I tried for 25 years to get it made as a movie. No one would touch it, but thank God times have changed.
Marriage equality is the law and that deserves a toast... to all of us, because we’re all unique and beautiful in our own way and entitled to love and be loved by whomever we choose.

Kelly Clarkson




It always makes me feel sad when someone from the LGBTQ community comes up and says thank you so much for being supportive, and how hard their life has been, and how helpful it is when people in the spotlight use their influence to help others. It shouldn't be this rare, unique thing. It should be a no-brainer to lift, and support everyone, in every community, and encourage people rather than fear or judge what is different from themselves. I can't wait for the day when there's not a need for someone to be thanked for doing the obvious.

RuPaul




We must remember that our greatest strength is in our love of life and colors, beauty and music, dancing and joy. That is our secret weapon. That is something that the opposition does not have. Keep those things near and dear to your heart because in times of war that will sustain you.

Christina Aguilera 




As we embark on pride month I wanted to reach out and put into words just how much the LGBTQ community means to me both as an artist and also as a human being. What I envisioned being a simple letter to write is actually much harder than I expected mainly because I keep asking myself, "how can I put into words the immense gratitude that fills my heart?." I just can't. And this community, this family of exceptional human beings mean so much to me I feel so much pressure to articulate my love for you all, yet here goes.
Starting out in my career there was a lot of uncertainty for me as to who I was and where I fit in. So many labels and so many of societies rules telling me how I should be and what I should be. Yet even in my earliest years when I wanted to scream and jump out of my own skin for not fitting the perfect pop star mold there was a small group of friends that stood by me and still do today. My own little gay inner circle filled with dancers, choreographers and glam folks that to this day remain my best friends in the world.
As my career moved forward and I began making music that spoke to my pain and struggles there were fans that came out to me with stories that literally lifted me up. Those were all my LGBTQ fans that through thick and thin stand with me daily. My fighters, my heroes, the reason I love what I do.
The LGBTQ community has never had it easy, the struggles each one of you faces daily on an individual level and on a broader political and cultural level are unimaginable, yet you keep fighting, you keep moving forward trailblazing and beating all odds with love always in your hearts.
I remember meeting a fan who had just gotten a tattoo of my face near a scar he had. When I asked him why he got the tattoo he told me a story about how he got stabbed because he was sticking up for himself when someone was bulling him about being gay. That because of me, and my music, he was able to be a fighter and to take a stand – he did get stabbed but he survived and the tattoo was a daily reminder that while people can try to break us we will not fall, we will not stand down and we will not be afraid to stand up for what we deserve.
In this month of June and every other day of the year please know that to me you all represent the daily driving voice that tells me to keep going, to triumph against all odds and to celebrate being unique. Because being unique doesn’t make us different from anyone else – it just makes us more special.
With love, with respect, with passion, with commitment, with gratitude and admiration I say to all you fighters – I love you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madonna Delivers Brutal Truth During Billboard Honor

UPDATED WITH FULL VIDEO:


 I've previously spoken out about this, but need to say more.

Madonna was honored by Billboard as Woman of the Year at last nights event, and when she took the stage....

She delivered a speech that EVERYONE needs to hear!!

Speaking out on the ageism, sexism, and controversy surrounding her legendary career, the Queen of Pop held nothing back.

Including some tears.

If this speech ever needed to be delivered, it was now.

Thank you Madonna.

Read her entire speech below:

"I stand before you as a doormat. Oh, I mean, as a female entertainer," Madonna said. "Thank you for acknowledging my ability to continue my career for 34 years in the face of blatant sexism and misogyny and constant bullying and relentless abuse."

Recalling her life as a teenager when she first moved to New York: 

"People were dying of AIDS everywhere. It wasn’t safe to be gay, it wasn’t cool to be associated with the gay community," Madonna recalled. "It was …

PopGoesTheArts Is BACK!!!!

Did you miss me?

Well, yours truly knew he wasn't going to be able to stay away forever......

After just over 3 months, I've gotten the itch to start writing again.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be dipping my toes back into my blog and of course, continuing to express my undying love of Britney Spears.



Truthfully, these past few months have given me time to reflect on what I want to get out of writing this blog again. It's not about quantity of posts, but the quality of what I'm writing. I don't watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians, so why write about it?

I need to focus my blog on writing about the things I love. This will no longer be a stream of daily posts about anything and everything Hollywood. Instead, this will be focused on what I find interesting and love.

I mean, 'RuPaul's Drag Race' All Stars 3 is fast approaching......so obviously I'll be writing about that. Awards season is in full swing, so of course that's going to be discu…

'Big Little Lies' Officially Returning For Season 2

And shockingly, yours truly isn't jumping up and down for joy.

I'll get to that.

HBO has announced that this years breakout hit 'Big Little Lies' starring Nicole Kidman & Reese Witherspoon, will be returning for a 2nd season.

At this years Emmy Awards, the show took home Outstanding Limited Series, Outstanding Lead Actress (Kidman), Outstanding Supporting Actor (Alexander Skarsgard), Outstanding Supporting Actress (Laura Dern) and Outstanding Directing (Jean-Marc Vallee).

As of right now, only Witherspoon and Kidman are confirmed to return, although reports are saying most of the cast will return as well.

Now, here comes my complaining.

This series was perfectly executed, featured stunning performances from everyone (okay, even Shailene Woodley was FINE),  and delivered an outstanding (at what we thought at the time) finale.

So.......why do we need to possibly ruin everything with a 2nd season?!

That's not to say that it will be awful, but when something is th…

My Reaction To Golden Globe Nominations

It's that time of the year again:

AWARDS SEASON!!!

The 75h Golden Globe Awards were announced yesterday, and as per every other year....

It was kind of bananas.

While most of the acting categories seemed to get things right (more on that shortly), there is quite a bit of backlash concerning the Best Director category.

The category went to all men:

Martin McDonagh (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri), Guillermo Del Toro (Shape of Water), Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk), Ridley Scott (All The Money in the World) and Steven Spielberg (The Post).

First off, we would argue that Jordan Peele should have been nominated for 'Get Out'. Hands down, that right there is a snub.

But what about Patty Jenkins for 'Wonder Woman'? Where's Great Gerwig for 'Lady Bird'? Where the HELL is Dee Rees for Netflix's 'Mudbound'??

Oh, that's right. They're all WOMEN.

Not a single woman was nominated for Best Director at this years Globes. What happens come …

Jimmy Kimmel Returns To Late Night......With A Very Special Guest!!

Jimmy Kimmel continues to use his platform for AMAZING things.....

And how freakin' adorable is Billy!?

Last week, Jimmy Kimmel took the week off to be with his family, while his son Billy underwent his 2nd open heart surgery. Chris Pratt, Tracee Ellis-Ross, Neil Patrick Harris and Melissa McCarthy filled in for the host while he was off.

Jimmy didn't waste any time going back to pushing for healthcare, only this time there was a tad bit of a distraction as we couldn't take our eyes off of Billy.

Check it out below: