Sunday, 12 June 2016

A Message From PopGoesTheArts


Yours truly has been quiet today, but here goes nothing.

I, Shane Avery, moderator of PopGoesTheArts, have been left reeling from the tragic events in Orlando.

I'm a 32 year old gay man who has, over the years, enjoyed going to local gay bars/clubs with friends and being able to fully embrace who I am. Not for one second have I ever questioned the ability to do that.....

Until today.

The shooting at Pulse nightclub in Orlando has shaken me. It's awakened a fear that I never knew existed:

That I could be gunned down for simply having a good time in a club with my friends.

Some of you may scoff at my words, seeing as I'm Canadian.

That means nothing right now.

I hurt just like my American brothers and sisters. I cry with them. I ache for them.

But listen to me, whomever is reading this:

We're HERE. We're strong. We're PROUD.

We will not let homophobia rule our lives. We will STAND UP and be who we are. Defy those who say we don't belong.

Be YOU. Scream it from the rooftops. Love one another. Stand up for one another.

Love knows no bounds, and we will TRIUMPH over this.

I love you all.

Shane Avery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment